Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-03-2023, 01:08 PM   #1
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Question How to use [Editor] Tools: add a cover?

There seems to be more action here than in the Editor sub-forum, hence my question. I'm editing a new book that contains and identifies cover.jpg but there is no reference to it. Selecting Tools => Add a cover, points to the image but then what? Do I create an empty file, i.e., text/cover.html? Then what?

Calibre's manual on the subject is meaningless to me:

This allows you to either choose an existing image in the book as the cover or import a new image into the book and make it the cover. When editing EPUB files, the HTML wrapper for the cover is automatically generated.

When the exising image file is selected, nothing is automatically generated. I'm sure I am missing something but it is not obvious to me.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:51 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice

Moved to Editor subforum,

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2023, 02:54 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
How I do it (when I don't use Calibre to add Metadata and Cover)

1) File Add:Empty HTML file
2) File Add Existing (Image) (as needed)
2b) Right-click the (cover) file in the book browser: mark as cover
3) Place the image in the HTML file (icon looks like a picture of a mountain)
3b) Style the image (SVG wrapper)
4) Right-click the (cover) HTML file in the book browser: Add semantics:Cover
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 01:21 AM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, @theducks.

An image file marked as cover was already present. Specifically, i have no idea how to accomplish #3, nor do I know what a SVG wrapper is in #3B.
Old 08-04-2023, 01:27 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The HTML file (named titlepage.xhtml) will be auto generated and linked for you. Simply Go to Tools->Add cover select the cover image and click OK
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2023, 10:36 AM   #6
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The HTML file (named titlepage.xhtml) will be auto generated and linked for you. Simply Go to Tools->Add cover select the cover image and click OK
Minor - I always rename the added cover's .html as cover.html since there's semantics for Cover and for Title and most times the book has a Title or at least Half Title page/file.

Possibly adding the cover image to a page named cover.html would be more logical (to me at least) and/or more obvious
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 10:41 AM   #7
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you, Kovid. This is precisely what led me to post my question. The steps you cite result in a blank page, nothing between <body> and <body>. I'm trying to figure out how to place the image in the blank file. I'll repeat the process when back on the computer but I suspect the result will be the same.
Old 08-04-2023, 10:44 AM   #8
Skydog
Wizard

@phossler

I always rename from "titlepage" to "cover" as well.
Old 08-04-2023, 11:19 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That sounds like a bug to me, open a bug report and attach an epub file where this happens.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 05:48 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
That sounds like a bug to me, open a bug report and attach an epub file where this happens.
Full disclosure: I'm still running v6.16

To be fair, I should, at the very least, update to the current version and test on more than one book before burdening you with a bug report.
Old 08-04-2023, 05:58 PM   #11
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I've never used this option before.
I created a new xhtml file - cover.xhtml
I then ran the Tools>Add cover.
Nothing happened.
v6.23 / Win10

I also rename titlepage.xhtml to cover.xhtml
Then I use titlepage.xhtml for the book title/author/publisher you normally see 2 or 3 pages in from the cover of a print book
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 08:40 PM   #12
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I've never used this option before.
I created a new xhtml file - cover.xhtml
I then ran the Tools>Add cover.
Nothing happened.
v6.23 / Win10

I also rename titlepage.xhtml to cover.xhtml
Then I use titlepage.xhtml for the book title/author/publisher you normally see 2 or 3 pages in from the cover of a print book
Thanks for the report. Are you saying there was no response after selecting an image, or did you end up with an empty file (nothing between <body> and <body>?
Old 08-04-2023, 09:18 PM   #13
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Are you saying there was no response after selecting an image, or did you end up with an empty file (nothing between <body> and <body>?
As I have never used it before, I wasn't sure the correct process.
So I first created the cover.xhtml file. Then I ran the tool, selected the image and nothing happened. Nothing was added. It still remained as a freshly created xhtml file.
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 08:32 AM   #14
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
As I have never used it before, I wasn't sure the correct process.
So I first created the cover.xhtml file. Then I ran the tool, selected the image and nothing happened. Nothing was added. It still remained as a freshly created xhtml file.
You don't need to create the file before running the tool. Also, it will not add code to your cover.xhtml. It creates a new file, named titlepage.xhtml.

It works as expected here (calibre 6.24).
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 08:51 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Personally, I avoid using file names used/created BY Calibre. This avoids possible clashes.

And Why the need? The viewer uses the Manifest

My name convention (strictly for this human) is just an abbreviated name(numbered if needed
cvr, cvr-old, cvr-back
toc
ded
cop
pro
ch001...
epi
...you got it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote