Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 10-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #1
AccidentallyLazy
AccidentallyLazy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
CSS to force line height/spacing?

Is there any CSS you can add to the stylesheet or when converting to force a specific/set line spacing/line height? This would over-ride the 'spacing' setting on the Kindle preferably.

Thanks.
AccidentallyLazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentallyLazy View Post
Is there any CSS you can add to the stylesheet or when converting to force a specific/set line spacing/line height? This would over-ride the 'spacing' setting on the Kindle preferably.

Thanks.
Perchance the CSS line-height property would do what you want. See CSS line-height Property. This will depend on how the renderer interprets it and whether you can override or add to the built-in line height. Unfortunately, it will not allow negative line heights.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
AccidentallyLazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perchance the CSS line-height property would do what you want. See CSS line-height Property. This will depend on how the renderer interprets it and whether you can override or add to the built-in line height. Unfortunately, it will not allow negative line heights.
Ah cannot go below 1.2, so i guess it's the font which has some kind of inherent taller line spacing. Thanks anyway.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:56 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Ah cannot go below 1.2, so i guess it's the font which has some kind of inherent taller line spacing. Thanks anyway.
You can imitate going lower then a line height of 1.2 with ChareInk. I coded the metrics so it give a smaller line height with Kindles. Grab one of the hinted versions.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
AccidentallyLazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can imitate going lower then a line height of 1.2 with ChareInk. I coded the metrics so it give a smaller line height with Kindles. Grab one of the hinted versions.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
I'd rather use Capita sorry.

I did work out that it is possible to have a *larger* base line height of say 1.7 but then use the narrowest spacing option on the kindle, it then looks a lot more natural.

Problem is this will only work with AZW3 files, if I want the enhanced type of KFX it will always normalise to 1.2 to force you to use the 3 spacing settings on the kindle.

Good learning experience anyway, I may sell the Oasis and pick up a Kobo for more fine adjustment.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:06 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I did work out that it is possible to have a *larger* base line height of say 1.7 but then use the narrowest spacing option on the kindle, it then looks a lot more natural.

Problem is this will only work with AZW3 files, if I want the enhanced type of KFX it will always normalise to 1.2 to force you to use the 3 spacing settings on the kindle.

Good learning experience anyway, I may sell the Oasis and pick up a Kobo for more fine adjustment.
I did noticed when I was trying out KFX the other day that the line height when using CareInk was higher then it should have been. It's another flaw in KFX (IMHO). The smaller line height in ChareInk does work well with KF8.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #7
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
That's a nice looking font. It's what's called a low contrast typeface; my favorite kind.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote