Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2024, 07:19 PM   #16
desterly
Enthusiast
desterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowdesterly will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: KV, Forma, Libra Colour
Unless I misread what you just said, if the Clara Colour and Clara BW are the same MB, and the same model number CPU, are they using a crippled CPU (IE: didn't pass dual core tests so one core is disabled) or drivers to disable one of the cores?

I'd think it's odd that it be a crippled CPU as those usually are stamped w/ a different number, which would almost make it seem like software/kernel that's limiting the CPU count

EDIT: Ok i did misread... your talking about the images posted on iFixIt... disregard
desterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:21 PM   #17
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The thread is more than ten years old. Do the scripts still work on current Kobo devices?
Those won't due to the lack of an SD card slot but netcat will: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...35#post2951435
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 09:45 PM   #18
DefiantRage
DefiantRage began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 - N418
eMMC upgrade possibilities

Because the new Kobo Libra Color moved to a emmc storage solution, would it be possible for someone with the right tools to replace the original card with a larger one, like a 512gb or 1tb?
A 1tb emmc costs roughly $130cad, emmc to usb device for flashing is $25.
I have the soldering station and heat gun for it all and am confident enough in my skills to do it. My main issue is making sure the emmc I buy is compatible with the socket inside the device.
Does anyone have some more insight into this possible upgrade path for these new devices?
DefiantRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 11:38 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The main issue would be how to copy the data to the new eMMC after getting the old eMMC off the motherboard. Our electronics shop at work found the removing the eMMC from a board often made it non-readable. Though that pair of pads labelled S1 and Download with a switch icon looks interesting.

The two eMMC chips used are a Phison PTE7A0YJ-32GE and a MK MKEMF032GT1E-C. MK seems to show a maximum 128GB in their family while Phison seems to show a 256GB in their family.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2404021045_MK-MKEMF032GT1E-C_C22374386.pdf (1.94 MB, 8 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:35 AM   #20
DefiantRage

Looking at the board, I wonder if the pads adjacent to the emmc chips were used for programming the chip after install... If so, it could be as simple as soldering some wires to a USB SD card reader, and creating an image of the entire chip. Then we could install a larger chip and then flash the backup image to it after installing it on the board.

I wonder if anyone has leaked schematics for the board yet so we can find access to the rails required for accessing those chips for read and write purposes.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:46 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If this goes wrong and the Kobo is toast, there's no longer any warranty. Your only option is to keep the Kobo for parts and buy a new Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 01:53 PM   #22
DefiantRage

Thank you for that data sheet!
The S1 and download pads are definitely of interest, especially if we could solder onto them for the purposes of creating an image of the emmc for flashing to a new and larger chip.
I wonder if we will ever get a leaked copy of the main boards schematics so we can know exactly where we can connect to it to access those functions. It would be great if it was as easy as soldering those 4 S1/download pads, but unfortunately I don't have that kind of technical know-how in order to figure that stuff out myself.

It just seems like such a silly oversight... Like obviously 32gb is enough for text documents and ebooks, but anyone using this device for colored comics or manga will need more room...