Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-30-2024, 10:19 AM   #1
palazzo
Enthusiast
palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Keeping date information

My Kobo Libra Colour is on the way. Is there any way that, when I upload my library with Calibre, I can keep the dates in the Date column (not Published). Also, is it possible to (download and) upload the % read information?
palazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:51 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by palazzo View Post
My Kobo Libra Colour is on the way. Is there any way that, when I upload my library with Calibre, I can keep the dates in the Date column (not Published). Also, is it possible to (download and) upload the % read information?
{date} is the date Calibre made the record in Calibre.
Why would that change because you got a New device?
The entry is still there in Calibre. (and that is a good example of why you may not want to repurpose a standard columns usage)

Sending a book to a New device does not change the Entry in Calibre.

Or are you NOT keeping (the source) books in Calibre after sending and expect to pull them back from the old device and send them to the new?
Not a great plan. Devices get lost or damaged or simply die.

As to Reading Status (the % read...), I am not sure if that can be done with Kobo Utilities EXTENDED edition (it can be used to log that INTO a custom column, I just do not know if it can be sent TO another Kobo)
Remember: Many Kobo metadata actions require a second connection after the book has been processed from the first connection.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 11:58 AM   #3
palazzo
Enthusiast
palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
{date}

No, but in my experience upon uploading to a new device the dates from Calibre all change to the date transferred on the device, so that when you select Sort:Recent on the Kobo you just get one alphabetical list.

Thanks, and for confirming about the bookmarks.

jeff
(also well trained by cats)

Last edited by palazzo; 04-30-2024 at 12:09 PM.
palazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 12:51 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Kobo dates are when the book was last accessed. Since everything was NEW on that device... Recent (is a reading status) follows.

That does not change Calibre's basic metadata (reading stats are Custom columns if used)

I have done a backyard semi-sync when I switched which readers I want to read that book on (My Libra stays home. The Aura travels . Mostly, I just read the books on the device they are on)

Backyard-sync:
Look at each book on the old (in reverse order: bottom up Remember what you did first and stop), Goto the same place on the new.

Repeat as needed. Only the dates read are different. The order and place is maintained

Kobo Utilities can RESTORE stored (in Calibre?) reading positions.
I have both PI installed, but the extended edition disables KU when being used (you can switch on the utilities icon)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:13 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Using Kobo Utilities, you can set a last-read column (must be custom, not a standard Calibre column). You can then restore that date to the Kobo DB, which changes how books sort on device.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:25 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
{date} is the date Calibre made the record in Calibre.
Why would that change because you got a New device?
The entry is still there in Calibre. (and that is a good example of why you may not want to repurpose a standard columns usage)

Or are you NOT keeping (the source) books in Calibre after sending and expect to pull them back from the old device and send them to the new?
Not a great plan. Devices get lost or damaged or simply die.

As to Reading Status (the % read...), I am not sure if that can be done with Kobo Utilities EXTENDED edition (it can be used to log that INTO a custom column, I just do not know if it can be sent TO another Kobo)
Remember: Many Kobo metadata actions require a second connection after the book has been processed from the first connection.
You can have the date changed when you copy any eBooks from one library to the other or have the date stay the same. It's an option in Preferences.

Preferences > Adding books > When using "Copy to library" action to copy books between libraries, preserve the date
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:20 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Take a look at the customization for the Kobo Utilities plugin for saving reading status, etc. Once that is done, you can store the information from your current reader. Once you have sent your books to your new reader, you can select those books and Update Metadata in Device Library with the Date Added field set to Date. After that is done, you can use Store or Restore Bookmark with the Store button selected and set Reading status checked. You will have to create the custom columns needed for this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-30 171412.png
Views:	22
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	207955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-30 171630.png
Views:	24
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	207956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-30 171702.png
Views:	23