Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
nickel GUI not displaying certain characters

Problems of the GUI not displaying certain characters, even though a suitable custom font is installed, have been mentioned several times. Lately, I had this problem myself. I installed a Sanskrit-English dictionary (Sanskrit being transliterated with diacritics). In order to be able to search the dictionary, I patched the keyboard. But some characters did not show (cf. screen_01.png). They did also not show in the list of suggestions (cf. screen_01.png, screen_02.png). The problem is that the automatic font selection does not always yield the wished for results. What I tried was to remove the font or the fonts that get applied instead of the font that should be applied. Actually, I renamed the directory that contains the on-board fonts.

Code:
mv usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fontsx
One result of this is that at start, nickel does not have access to any fonts (cf. screen_03.png), but as soon as one opens a book, nickel uses the installed custom fonts (cf. screen_04.png, screen_05.png).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_01.png
Views:	615
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	151606   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_02.png
Views:	549
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	151607   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_03.png
Views:	550
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	151608   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_04.png
Views:	527
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	151609   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_05.png
Views:	513
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	151610  

Last edited by tshering; 09-13-2016 at 05:50 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The following on-board fonts are preventing the display of the characters in question: Avenir, Amasis, Caecilia, Georgia, KBJ-UDKakugoPr6N-M. This leaves in the directory of on-board fonts on my device the following files:

Code:
[root@(none) ~]# ls usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts
GillSans-Bold.ttf            Malabar-Bold.ttf
GillSans-BoldItalic.ttf      Malabar-BoldItalic.ttf
GillSans-Italic.ttf          Malabar-Italic.ttf
GillSans.ttf                 Malabar.ttf
Gothic MB101.otf             OpenDyslexic-Bold.otf
KBJ-TsukuMinPr6N-RB.ttf      OpenDyslexic-BoldItalic.otf
KoboNickel-Bold.ttf          OpenDyslexic-Italic.otf
KoboNickel-BoldItalic.ttf    OpenDyslexic-Regular.otf
KoboNickel-Italic.ttf        Ryumin.otf
KoboNickel.ttf
Note that Gothic MB101.otf and Ryumin.otf are empty files.
The important file is KBJ-TsukuMinPr6N-RB.ttf. Without it there would be no font left that the GUI can use before a book is opened. Curiously, the GUI does not display Japanese characters, even after opening a book. (It does however still display Japanese characters in books.)
Advert
Old 12-28-2016, 10:42 PM   #3
duongqw
duongqw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Problems of the GUI not displaying certain characters, even though a suitable custom font is installed, have been mentioned several times. Lately, I had this problem myself. I installed a Sanskrit-English dictionary (Sanskrit being transliterated with diacritics). In order to be able to search the dictionary, I patched the keyboard. But some characters did not show (cf. screen_01.png). They did also not show in the list of suggestions (cf. screen_01.png, screen_02.png). The problem is that the automatic font selection does not always yield the wished for results. What I tried was to remove the font or the fonts that get applied instead of the font that should be applied. Actually, I renamed the directory that contains the on-board fonts.

Code:
mv usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fontsx
One result of this is that at start, nickel does not have access to any fonts (cf. screen_03.png), but as soon as one opens a book, nickel uses the installed custom fonts (cf. screen_04.png, screen_05.png).
I have the same problem with you, but i can't understand how to do it
Can you explain step by step more detail as possible how you do it
Thank you so much
duongqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by duongqw View Post
I have the same problem with you, but i can't understand how to do it
Can you explain step by step more detail as possible how you do it
Thank you so much
Extract KoboRoot.tgz from kobo_delete_fonts.zip, copy it into .kobo, safely eject and disconnect the device. After the device has restarted automatically, power it once off and on manually.
This will remove the following fonts from your device: Avenir, Amasis, Caecilia, Georgia, KBJ-UDKakugoPr6N-M. Since a firmware update will add these fonts again, you will have to repeat this after each firmware update.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kobo_delete_fonts.zip (529 Bytes, 418 views)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
duongqw

Quote:
Extract KoboRoot.tgz from kobo_delete_fonts.zip, copy it into .kobo, safely eject and disconnect the device. After the device has restarted automatically, power it once off and on manually.
This will remove the following fonts from your device: Avenir, Amasis, Caecilia, Georgia, KBJ-UDKakugoPr6N-M. Since a firmware update will add these fonts again, you will have to repeat this after each firmware update.
I did what you said but it still have problem, my language is Vietnamese
Can you tell me how you can create KoboRoot.tgz for delete every fonts except Kobo Nickel and i can fix it for my language

Last edited by duongqw; 01-05-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Advert
Old 01-06-2017, 07:59 AM   #6
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I did what you said but it still have problem, my language is Vietnamese
Can you tell me how you can create KoboRoot.tgz for delete every fonts except Kobo Nickel and i can fix it for my language
Did the KoboRoot.tgz work? I mean, did it delete the mentioned fonts? Did you notice any difference at all?
You can extract the content of KoboRoot.tgz with 7zip. You will find the script
root\delete_fonts.sh. Use a unix style editor to modify it (This is important!). Then repack it again into KoboRoot.tgz. If you are using linux do not forget to set the executable flag. If you use 7zip under Windows you do not have to worry about this.

This is the list of files of files:
Code:
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Amasis-Bold.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Amasis-BoldItalic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Amasis-Italic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Amasis.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir-Bold.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir-BoldItalic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir-Italic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Caecilia-Bold.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Caecilia-BoldItalic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Caecilia-Italic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Caecilia.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgia.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgiab.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgiai.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgiaz.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans-Bold.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans-BoldItalic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans-Italic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Gothic MB101.otf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KBJ-TsukuMinPr6N-RB.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KBJ-UDKakugoPr6N-M.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KoboNickel-Bold.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KoboNickel-BoldItalic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KoboNickel-Italic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KoboNickel.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Malabar-Bold.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Malabar-BoldItalic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Malabar-Italic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Malabar.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/OpenDyslexic-Bold.otf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/OpenDyslexic-BoldItalic.otf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/OpenDyslexic-Italic.otf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/OpenDyslexic-Regular.otf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Ryumin.otf
Be aware that if only KoboNickel is left, you will not see any characters in the gui before you open a book (and open the fonts menu, depending on the type of book).

Last edited by tshering; 01-06-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
duongqw

Quote:
Did the KoboRoot.tgz work? I mean, did it delete the mentioned fonts? Did you notice any difference at all?
You can extract the content of KoboRoot.tgz with 7zip. You will find the script
root\delete_fonts.sh. Use a unix style editor to modify it (This is important!). Then repack it again into KoboRoot.tgz. If you are using linux do not forget to set the executable flag. If you use 7zip under Windows you do not have to worry about this.

This is the list of files of files:
Code:
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Amasis-Bold.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Amasis-BoldItalic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Amasis-Italic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Amasis.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir-Bold.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir-BoldItalic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir-Italic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Caecilia-Bold.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Caecilia-BoldItalic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Caecilia-Italic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Caecilia.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgia.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgiab.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgiai.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgiaz.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans-Bold.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans-BoldItalic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans-Italic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/GillSans.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Gothic MB101.otf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KBJ-TsukuMinPr6N-RB.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KBJ-UDKakugoPr6N-M.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KoboNickel-Bold.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KoboNickel-BoldItalic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KoboNickel-Italic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/KoboNickel.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Malabar-Bold.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Malabar-BoldItalic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Malabar-Italic.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Malabar.ttf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/OpenDyslexic-Bold.otf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/OpenDyslexic-BoldItalic.otf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-a fontrm/lib/fonts/OpenDyslexic-Italic.otf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/OpenDyslexic-Regular.otf
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Ryumin.otf
Be aware that if only KoboNickel is left, you will not see any characters in the gui before you open a book (and open the fonts menu, depending on the type of book).
yes, the KoboRoot.tgz worked but the problem is not fixed, i have deleted every fonts except Kobo Nickel, it still the same, do i miss something ?
Old 01-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #8
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
yes, the KoboRoot.tgz worked but the problem is not fixed, i have deleted every fonts except Kobo Nickel, it still the same, do i miss something ?
Are there any side-loaded fonts on the device (in the folder "fonts" on the user partition)? One of them could also interfere.
Are you sure that KoboNickel includes all necessary characters? If not try to copy an appropriate font to "fonts" (and maybe delete KoboNickel too).
Old 01-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #9
duongqw

Quote:
Are there any side-loaded fonts on the device (in the folder "fonts" on the user partition)? One of them could also interfere.
Are you sure that KoboNickel includes all necessary characters? If not try to copy an appropriate font to "fonts" (and maybe delete KoboNickel too).
I have done it, thank you so much
seem delete font not work for me but rename folder Fonts is work but my way is too complex. How you rename the Folder Fonts like you first post by using Koboroot.tgz ?

Last edited by duongqw; 01-06-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:27 AM   #10
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I have done it, thank you so much
seem delete font not work for me but rename folder Fonts is work but my way is too complex. How you rename the Folder Fonts like you first post by using Koboroot.tgz ?
I should not make any difference whether you delete the fonts or whether you rename the fonts folder (apart from that when deleting, you have a backup copy of the fonts). You can use KoboRoot.tgz for renaming the folder only once. In order to use it again (e.g., after the next firmware update), you would first have to delete the folder created last time ( usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fontsx). Anyway here it is.
I just want to repeat: It is preferable to delete the files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rename_fonts_folder.zip (489 Bytes, 407 views)
Old 01-07-2017, 07:14 AM   #11
duongqw

Quote:
I should not make any difference whether you delete the fonts or whether you rename the fonts folder (apart from that when deleting, you have a backup copy of the fonts). You can use KoboRoot.tgz for renaming the folder only once. In order to use it again (e.g., after the next firmware update), you would first have to delete the folder created last time ( usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fontsx). Anyway here it is.
I just want to repeat: It is preferable to delete the files.
Thank you so much, you are the best
Old 01-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #12
stevenam
stevenam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Just for my own curiosity, why don't we delete the original font (Georgia for example) and then rename the preferred font (Bookerly for example) into Georgia?
stevenam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenam View Post
Just for my own curiosity, why don't we delete the original font (Georgia for example) and then rename the preferred font (Bookerly for example) into Georgia?
I guess the idea is that nickel will accept the custom font and use it for the GUI from start, if it is renamed (internally and exterally) to match Georgia. I was told that this does not work. I admit that I did not test this myself.
For my purposes the way I have it now is acceptable, since I have still a font on the device that is loaded from start (see post 2). (I can do without Japanese in the GUI.)
Old 01-09-2017, 03:28 AM   #14
stevenam
stevenam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I guess the idea is that nickel will accept the custom font and use it for the GUI from start, if it is renamed (internally and exterally) to match Georgia. I was told that this does not work. I admit that I did not test this myself.
For my purposes the way I have it now is acceptable, since I have still a font on the device that is loaded from start (see post 2). (I can do without Japanese in the GUI.)
I tried your solution in post 2 by remain only the displayed fonts, but then Nickel start acting weird. For example, the book is loaded, but could not open.

Either other mods I installed conflict, or I did it wrong elsewhere...

Edit 1: The correct "font-deleting" method for me is to delete everything, except KBJ-TsukuMinPr6N-RB.ttf and Kobo Nickel.

Edit 2: By doing so, the GUI display is perfect, but then if I click on any book, it just display a blank page. Next click brings me back to the home screen and the book selected will displayed as read. I guess some of the fonts I deleted are the cause of this bug. Again, it should be try and err.

Last edited by stevenam; 01-09-2017 at 05:41 AM.
stevenam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #15
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenam View Post
I tried your solution in post 2 by remain only the displayed fonts, but then Nickel start acting weird. For example, the book is loaded, but could not open.

Either other mods I installed conflict, or I did it wrong elsewhere...

Edit 1: The correct "font-deleting" method for me is to delete everything, except KBJ-TsukuMinPr6N-RB.ttf and Kobo Nickel.

Edit 2: By doing so, the GUI display is perfect, but then if I click on any book, it just display a blank page. Next click brings me back to the home screen and the book selected will displayed as read. I guess some of the fonts I deleted are the cause of this bug. Again, it should be try and err.
Did you try to open the font menu and select an existing font family after opening a book? Or does any touch bring you back to the home screen, not only those for page turning?
If this does not work, it might perhaps help if you replace the references to deleted fonts by references to still existing fonts in the database (KoboReader.sqlite, content settings: ReadingFontFamily)!
Edit: There is also an entry in the configuration file (Kobo eReader.conf) that determines which font is used when you open a book for the first time. You can try deleting this entry.

Last edited by tshering; 01-09-2017 at 09:26 AM.