Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-26-2023, 12:35 AM   #1
jetgraphics
jetgraphics began at the beginning.

Device: PC + Acer Tablet
Bulk uncompress and repair

I inadvertently added zipped book files to the library. When I select a zipped book, the information shows “zip” and won’t open it in a viewer. When I open the [path:], to the directory entry, I can unzip it, but the database only shows [formats: “zip”] and won’t view the unzipped file.

What solutions would work for a bulk unzip and repair of the library database?

_ _ copy library, run a bulk uncompress, create new library, bulk add ?
_ _ use a shell script ?

And is there some way to prevent loading non-book files when adding books from a large directory? (exclude file types?)
jetgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 07:47 AM   #2
jetgraphics

Stymied, again.

These are the steps I took and their apparent failure.
1. Created a new empty library.
2. Searched on format = zip, rar
3. Used copy to library to migrate the zip, rar files to new empty library
4. Ran batch files to unzip all files using 7-zip, verified complete
5. Deleted all zip, rar files. Verified no zip nor rar files remained.
6. Checked the books, via Calibre, and they still showed format = “zip” or “rar” despite everything. When I clicked to open, the folder showed the correct eBook, HTML, or PDF file.
7. I tried adding the books to a new empty library, hoping that would clear the format error. It didn’t.
8. Also tried library metadata backup, hoping that would correct the entry. It didn’t.
9. The worst bug - I changed metadata (author) on one of the unzipped files, saved it, and the text vanished from both folders (old and new author name). All that remained were metadata.opf files.

I did a search of the whole library folder, and that particular text file was erased !
Advert
Old 10-27-2023, 08:42 AM   #3
jetgraphics

From the manual:
"If you are worried that someday calibre will cease to be developed, leaving all your books marooned in its folder structure, explore the powerful Save to disk feature in calibre that lets you export all your files into a folder structure of arbitrary complexity based on their metadata."
- - -
Q: How does one select all books to "save to disk"?
- - -
Old 10-27-2023, 11:15 AM   #4
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ctrl a (windows)
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 12:42 AM   #5
jetgraphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
Ctrl a (windows)
Thank you.
Out of curiosity, where was that mentioned in the manual or FAQ?
Advert
Old 10-28-2023, 01:44 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Thank you.
Out of curiosity, where was that mentioned in the manual or FAQ?
That is basic 'Computer' use. Same for Cut and Paste and a host of other keystrokes. Standard OS keys

FWIW It also applies to Linux. (I don't use a MAC, so I can't say)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 05:07 AM   #7
jetgraphics

UPDATE and failure

STEPS:
  1. Made an empty library for testing : Single File Library.
  2. Switched back to Master Library
  3. Saved to disk (1) zipped file
  4. Switched to Single File Library
  5. Add Books (from ZIP, RAR Archive) : selected FOLDER with zipped file from SAVE TO DISK
  6. Library shows one book, with ZIP format
  7. CLICK TO OPEN : Shows directory with a ZIP file !
Did not unzip file.

STEPS:
  1. Deleted book from Single File Library.
  2. Switched back to Master Library
  3. Saved to disk (1) zipped file to new folder
  4. Switched to FOLDER, opened it
  5. Ran unzip, so that there was only an HTML file (eBook) in the folder, deleted the ZIP file.
  6. Switched to Single File Library
  7. Add Books (from folders and subfolders) : selected FOLDER with uncompressed file from SAVE TO DISK
  8. Library shows one book, with ZIP format
  9. CLICK TO OPEN : Shows directory with a ZIP file !
  10. Opened ZIP file and the HTML file was there... compressed.
[head thump]
NO unzipped file.
Old 10-29-2023, 10:14 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Let me get your test straight in my head.

You have a Zipped up a folder of MANY books?
You want to add the FOLDERS worth of books to a Library?

That won't work.
Calibre expects A Zipped folder to be a single book.
Think Saved WEB page. There is the main file (page) and all the supporting stuff (images and scripts) that must be kept together
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 02:19 PM   #9
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
I know this is old, but I thought I'd reply just in case you hadn't found this, or, someone else has the same problem.

Have you tried the "Open With" plugin? When you install it, configure it to use your zip program when you right click the book you are trying to unzip within Calibre. It won't load the book into Calibre, but it will let you read it on your computer.

If you want the unzipped version of a book loaded into calibre, you have to unzip it first. Be aware, Calibre usually expects 1 file 1 book, so if you have a multiple files within the zip file (say a bunch of HTML files that make up a book), you are best to convert those files to an epub before import into Calibre, otherwise, leave them as a zip file.

I myself have zip files loaded into my library. They are books that have been scanned into multi jpeg files, and placed in a zip file. If I need to look at the book I use Open With plugin to unzip into a temp location, read what I need, and then delete the folder of unzipped jpegs.

Anyway food for thought in case someone else has the same issue.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:11 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
I know this is old, but I thought I'd reply just in case you hadn't found this, or, someone else has the same problem.

Have you tried the "Open With" plugin?

. . .
Why bother with a plugin, if you add a .ZIP to calibre that it can't autoconvert to a .CBZ (not a solid image archive), when you View the .ZIP it will open the file in the OS default handler for .ZIPs, for me that's WinRAR.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-19 080345.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	207703

And if you want to use a different program why not use calibre's built Open with ==>> Configuring and using Calibre's built in Open With

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:15 AM   #11
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

And if you want to use a different program why not use calibre's built Open with ==>> Configuring and using Calibre's built in Open With

BR

I must admit I missed the roll out of that function. When I started using Calibre the Open With plugin was the only way, so that's what I've been using and it's still working good. I will be checking out the built in Open With. It always amazes me how much Calibre actually can do and has grown... It just goes to show how innovative and helpful this community is.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 05:53 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
I must admit I missed the roll out of that function.
I don't recall any drumgolds or fanfares when it was added… at a guess around 2017, and there's no toolbar button to get to it, so it tends to be discounted by some folks.

What… no button to click upon… can't be any good.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:19 AM   #13
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I don't recall any drumgolds or fanfares when it was added… at a guess around 2017, and there's no toolbar button to get to it, so it tends to be discounted by some folks.
Later than that. I started using Calibre heavily in 2018 and had to use the Open With plugin for several years.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:53 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Later than that. I started using Calibre heavily in 2018 and had to use the Open With plugin for several years.
From the commit logs, it was added in version 2.21 on 13 March 2015.

There have been many changes since then. Some of those changes might have made it usable for you.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote