Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-24-2023, 07:17 PM   #1
AudioPhool
AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Sage (My wife a: Paperwhite Signature)
Kindle Paperwhite (Signature) or Kobo Libra 2

My preference would be a Kobo Libra 2. However, I’m an Amazon Prime member and may periodically, want to read a free Prime book. However, 95%+ of the time, I will be obtaining library books.

I’ve never owned an eReader.

As I understand it, because of DRM, getting Amazon books to a Kobo isn’t recommended. I believe there are ways to do so. But whatever those are today, they may be stifled anytime in the future, because of changes to the DRM code.

Thus, just in case I may want to read an Amazon book now and then and to keep that option available, it would seem that a Kindle it is and a Kobo is out of the question – i.e., I can get library books to the Kindle, but I can’t easily get Amazon books to a Kobo.

As an eReader first timer, am I thinking correctly?
AudioPhool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 08:00 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
So far it's been entirely possible to read Amazon books on a Kobo. I do it all the time (not borrowed books or loans, though, just purchases). How difficult or even possible it might be in the future, no one knows. If reading Amazon books is really important to you and you don't want to rely on deDRM tools, then the Paperwhite is, of course, a better option for you.

OTOH, many of us have more than one ereader. If you can afford it, why not get both the Paperwhite and the Libra to try them out? You can always return or sell one of them later.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2023, 12:13 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPhool View Post
My preference would be a Kobo Libra 2. However, I’m an Amazon Prime member and may periodically, want to read a free Prime book. However, 95%+ of the time, I will be obtaining library books.

– i.e., I can get library books to the Kindle, but I can’t easily get Amazon books to a Kobo.
I'm guessing you're in the USA, then? (There's no Overdrive Kindle borrowing in any other country).

I have Prime too, but for my uses Kobo are so much better (full Calibre management, library sync, etc) that I've stuck with them. Like you, I occasionally read a free Prime book; if I can't deDRM those in the future, my plan is just to read that particular book on my iPad mini or phone instead. That's not something I want to do all the time, but for a single book it's fine.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 12:16 AM   #4
AudioPhool
AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Sirtel,
Thanks for the input.

I do have a Paperwhite Signature on order via the Black Friday offering.

From what I've ascertained, I believe I would prefer the Libra 2 vs the Paperwhite. Performance wise, both eReaders seem to be very close. The Libra's page turn buttons seem favorable though. But the $200 Black Friday Kindle Oasis (minus the ads) price, for a smaller battery, no USB C, a bit more LED's, and buttons, could NOT sway me from a Paperwhite.

I wanted to like the Libra 2. It handles library downloads (which will be most of my reading) for the most part directly. But the never ending DRM mods and necessary deDRM catch-ups, are off putting, even if I only utilize Amazon once in a great while.

Up to now, I've been reading using my 16" laptop, with the Kindle Windows App, which does the job. Plus, I have the large Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra for away-from-home reading reading.

I wanted something more portable, for general use around the house, with an E Ink display. Thus, if I like the Paperwhite, I will probably be done.

At any rate, it was a treat finding this forum. Along with good device research, I found the suggestion here, to install the Library Extension to my browser. That has been a resounding success!
Old 11-25-2023, 12:50 AM   #5
AudioPhool

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm guessing you're in the USA, then? (There's no Overdrive Kindle borrowing in any other country).

I have Prime too, but for my uses Kobo are so much better (full Calibre management, library sync, etc) that I've stuck with them. Like you, I occasionally read a free Prime book; if I can't deDRM those in the future, my plan is just to read that particular book on my iPad mini or phone instead. That's not something I want to do all the time, but for a single book it's fine.
meeera, First, yes, I’m in the U.S. and have been using Overdrive at my State’s central library and borrowing digitally at my local library and from Hoopla that's associated with the local library.

Also, I downloaded Calibre today to check it out. On first blush, it appears to be very useful.

Second, -- if worse-comes-to-worse and DRM becomes an insurmountable issue -- I hadn’t considered as you suggested, to just read whatever few (if any) Prime Books on my 16” laptop, as I have been doing and be done with the consternation. Given my circumstances, I really don’t need an eReader. But I’m sure my seasoned citizen eyes will appreciate one. Besides, not hauling around a bulky laptop would be a plus.

Thanks for the input, you’re post encouraged me to reassess my thinking. I’m now leaning towards doing as Sirtel suggested and buy both the Paperwhite and Libra 2 and let the contest begin. My guess is as you’ve found, the Libra 2 will be the winner! Cheers, -Mike
Advert
Old 11-25-2023, 01:01 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Given my circumstances, I really don’t need an eReader. But I’m sure my seasoned citizen eyes will appreciate one. Besides, not hauling around a bulky laptop would be a plus.
Totally agree with not hauling a laptop around! My now-pretty-ancient iPad Mini still loads books perfectly well, so for library manga or for the odd Prime book, it's an excellent device.

Enjoy whatever reader(s) you get.
Old 11-25-2023, 01:44 AM   #7
Fritomaster
Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EGegege
Quote:

I’ve never owned an eReader.

As I understand it, because of DRM, getting Amazon books to a Kobo isn’t recommended. I believe there are ways to do so. But whatever those are today, they may be stifled anytime in the future, because of changes to the DRM code.

Thus, just in case I may want to read an Amazon book now and then and to keep that option available, it would seem that a Kindle it is and a Kobo is out of the question – i.e., I can get library books to the Kindle, but I can’t easily get Amazon books to a Kobo.

As an eReader first timer, am I thinking correctly?
I have the kobo libra 2 and the paperwhite 5.

Kobo is slower (tho this is for manga) in most areas. But I think the screen looks better. If you add any brightness to the paperwhite it starts to look very lcd even with warm lighting. The kobo doesn't do this until much higher brightness. Not sure why but that alone makes me enjoy it more.

I also vastly perfer the ergo of the kobo. Way better if you read in bed on your side at all.

Fritomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 01:54 AM   #8
AudioPhool

Well...rather than a Libra 2, I opted for a Sage. Presently, @$239, it was $100>the Paperwhite and $50>the Libra 2. The downside compared to the Libra, appears to be battery life. But the extra inch display size of the Sage sounds inviting.

I'm interested in getting my hands on both the Sage and Paperwhite. Whether I send one back or gift it, the comparison should be interesting.
Old 11-25-2023, 05:26 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
So far it's been entirely possible to read Amazon books on a Kobo. I do it all the time (not borrowed books or loans, though, just purchases). How difficult or even possible it might be in the future, no one knows. If reading Amazon books is really important to you and you don't want to rely on deDRM tools, then the Paperwhite is, of course, a better option for you.

OTOH, many of us have more than one ereader. If you can afford it, why not get both the Paperwhite and the Libra to try them out? You can always return or sell one of them later.
Prime eBooks are a subset of Kindle Unlimited. So they cannot be read on a Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 05:35 AM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Prime eBooks are a subset of Kindle Unlimited. So they cannot be read on a Kobo.
I have Prime. I don't have KU. There's no access to KU books on my account.
Old 11-25-2023, 06:21 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Do you mean technically or ethically? In the past, the DRM on Prime ebooks could be stripped.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 06:21 AM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Do you mean technically or ethically? In the past, the DRM on Prime ebooks could be stripped.
I just tried a Prime Reading ebook, and it can be read on a Kobo.
Old 11-25-2023, 11:39 AM   #13
AudioPhool

Quote:
I just tried a Prime Reading ebook, and it can be read on a Kobo.
I'm just curious, what workaround was utilized to do so? For example, it's assumed that the DRM stripped. Was it?

However, for my purposes the question is basically moot, because (as you kindly and adroitly suggested) if in the rare instance I choose to read a book via my Prime account, I can do so with another on-hand device like a Windows PC running the Kindle App, or simply open the book in the browser, or on my cell phone.
Old 11-25-2023, 01:46 PM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm just curious, what workaround was utilized to do so? For example, it's assumed that the DRM stripped. Was it?

However, for my purposes the question is basically moot, because (as you kindly and adroitly suggested) if in the rare instance I choose to read a book via my Prime account, I can do so with another on-hand device like a Windows PC running the Kindle App, or simply open the book in the browser, or on my cell phone.
I assume it had DRM. I added it to calibre.

And you must have me confused with someone else. I wouldn't recommend pleasure reading (fiction) on a PC.
Old 11-25-2023, 03:54 PM   #15
AudioPhool

Quote:
I assume it had DRM. I added it to calibre.

And you must have me confused with someone else. I wouldn't recommend pleasure reading (fiction) on a PC.
Yes, I did confuse you with another poster.

With potentially purchasing a Kobo, I had a concern with possibly wanting to read a Prime book; which presently, I don't plan on doing. To that, meeera (not you/John F) made the following suggestion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
...I occasionally read a free Prime book; if I can't deDRM those in the future, my plan is just to read that particular book on my iPad mini or phone instead. That's not something I want to do all the time, but for a single book it's fine.
In my case -- if worst came to worst and I obtained a Prime Book -- from meeera’s suggestion, I concluded that I could read a Prime Book, using the Kindle App on my Windows laptop &/or on my Galaxy S22 Ultra phone. That is, if I didn’t want to, or couldn’t deDRM the book. Obviously however, neither a laptop or phone are optimum. However, never having owned or even seen the screen of an eReader, the laptop's display set to a sepia tone, has been doing OK.