Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2024, 07:47 PM   #286
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
I just got my shipping notice!

Still three days to wait, but I can now amuse myself by checking tracking several times a day rather than the Kobo shipping status page.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:58 PM   #287
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
So far my older granddaughter liked looking at a couple of books. The main issue was her desire to taste test my Libra Colour.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2024, 09:52 PM   #288
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
This is a little awkward to confess after my last rant/review. But earlier this evening I gave my LC a good cleaning (with some glasses/screen cleaner.) It turns out there was some kind of film, I suspect from factory, that was subtle but affecting my perception of the screen quality.

The Kaleido pattern is still visible on the background, but not as iridescent and distracting. Side by side with the L2 and the same side loaded font, the text on the LC is every bit as clear and sharp and contrasty. (Depending on the ligthting conditions. The LC has much better contrast in very bright / sunlit area. But for indoors/evening, the LC is probably just as good. It's hard to compare directly because the LC has a much more neutral white tone wheras the LC is a more bluish grey, until conmfort light gives it a pink tinge.)

Edit: And no, by film I do not mean the screen protector you peel off.

Last edited by rashkae; 05-01-2024 at 10:18 PM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:01 AM   #289
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
This is a little awkward to confess after my last rant/review. But earlier this evening I gave my LC a good cleaning (with some glasses/screen cleaner.) It turns out there was some kind of film, I suspect from factory, that was subtle but affecting my perception of the screen quality.

<deleted>

I noticed when I peeled the screen protector off my LC, there was a residue left on the screen. Using an eyeglass cleaning wipe (smells like alcohol) cleaned the residue off.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:21 AM   #290
bspline
Enthusiast
bspline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPads and iPhones
I gotta retract myself as well.

Still have a lot to learn regarding converting AZW to EPUB, specifically for the Kobo.

I was very unimpressed with the results of my converted files, but when I downloaded a native, professionally produced Kobo EPUB, results were night and day.

This is my first time on the color e-ink (besides a Pebble watch, but it's another beast), so forgive me if I'm not bringing anything new to the table. The colors are good, and don't have the glare and luminosity associated with OLED or LED. Really brought me back to printed matter, close to the comic books I'd read in the 80s.

Speaking of comics, it would be awesome to have a screen that size. I think I'll keep the Kobo.
bspline is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2024, 03:05 AM   #291
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
For UK citizens, both Argos and Currys now have next day delivery of all 3 new Kobo's ereaders.
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:19 AM   #292
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Can someone of the new Libra Colour owners tell me whether they have experienced any device "freeze" like we (still) have on the old Libra 2 devices?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:36 AM   #293
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Can someone of the new Libra Colour owners tell me whether they have experienced any device "freeze" like we (still) have on the old Libra 2 devices?
I do not have freezing on my Libra 2.

I suggest you check your eBooks with epubcheck and see if there are any errors. That's the most common reason for a Reader acting up.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-02-2024 at 08:39 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:35 AM   #294
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest you check your eBooks with epubcheck and see if there are any errors. That's the most common reason for a Reader acting up.
As just an absolute beginner and after the above words of wisdom, what is there then just left for humble me to say than a big ?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:37 AM   #295
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSquirsier can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2, Colour
Quote:
After seeing your message I figured I'd also give it a shot. I cleaned the screen and there definitely an improvement as you said, subtle, but somehow likely enough for me to actually forget the moire-like effect is there over the text (rest of the screen still shows).

Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:57 AM   #296
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Libra 2, Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
I've had mine freeze but unfreeze at the home screen when coming off the screen saver. I've also had it require a reboot from the screen saver. I loaded all my books on, so I probably have something that's not formatted well. But good luck to me in finding it haha
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:08 AM   #297
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
I've had mine freeze but unfreeze at the home screen when coming off the screen saver. I've also had it require a reboot from the screen saver. I loaded all my books on, so I probably have something that's not formatted well. But good luck to me in finding it haha
You would be best to install epubcheck and load each book into the editor and then run epubcheck to see if you get any errors. Then fix the errors before loading the eBook on your Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:02 AM   #298
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
After seeing your message I figured I'd also give it a shot. I cleaned the screen and there definitely an improvement as you said, subtle, but somehow likely enough for me to actually forget the moire-like effect is there over the text (rest of the screen still shows).

After reading for a night on a *clean* screen, I love this thing. With the light turned down and comfort light adjusted for evening, it's absolutely perfect!
Old 05-02-2024, 12:37 PM   #299
Pen&Paper
Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite & Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:

(...)

That's strange. I watch and read many reviews, and none were talking about that film. And now there's you and another member.
Pen&Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:40 PM   #300
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen&Paper View Post
That's strange. I watch and read many reviews, and none were talking about that film. And now there's you and another member.
I think a bigger problem with many of the reviews is that they weren't very technical. Most of them made no effort to match fonts when comparing devices. For better or worse, Kobo has replaced the old (and presumably e-ink optimized) 3rd party proprietary fonts with their own or completely free fonts.

The short of it is, the new default serif font looks much less saturated than the old one on screen, and the only way to properly compare an L2 and LC side by side, is by making sure you have the same font *and* the same font darkness setting by copying it from the conf file.

Edit: Sure seems like it would have been a good time to add the popular Charis SIL or Char-Ink fonts....

Last edited by rashkae; 05-02-2024 at 01:47 PM.