Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2024, 01:30 PM   #1
ayylmayo
ayylmayo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara BW
Question Kobo Clara BW + Calibre setting up

I just got my Kobo Clara BW and tried to use Calibre but it gave me an error popup saying it doesn't recognize the firmware.
Can someone tell me if I did something wrong or how to set Calibre up so that it can actually read the database of the Kobo Clara BW?

Quote:
calibre, version 7.9.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a Factory reset of your Kobo.

Discussion of any new Kobo firmware can be found in the Kobo forum at MobileRead. This is at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=223.

Device database version: 175.
Device firmware version: 4.39.22861
ayylmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 02:09 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Do as the message tells you to do - instructions are pretty clear here.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2024, 06:35 PM   #3
jlinear
Connoisseur
jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Aura One, Libra 2, Paperwhite
I just received a Kobo Clara BW. It automatically updated during activation and Calibre recognized it just fine. I could also add and delete books in Calibre seemingly without issue. NickelMenu seems to work fine. KOReader (latest nightly) with the latest KFMon tries to launch but just returns to the Home screen. BW page turns are significantly faster than the Libra 2 probably partly to the smaller screen size. Disappointingly, at least to my eyes, blacks (text and covers) don't seem any blacker than on the Libra 2 using approximately the same font & settings. And the white background of the Libra 2 gets significantly whiter and brighter causing text to seem more contrasty than the BW. My initial impression: outside of the smaller size I don't really see any significant advantage to getting the BW if you already have a Libra 2.
jlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 04:32 PM   #4
breaktwister
breaktwister began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can I ask how you are connecting Clara BW to Calibre? I am new to ereaders and considering the Clara BW, it is important to me to be able to use my Calibre library easily.
breaktwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 04:46 PM   #5
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->L2->iOS/CBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaktwister View Post
Can I ask how you are connecting Clara BW to Calibre? I am new to ereaders and considering the Clara BW, it is important to me to be able to use my Calibre library easily.
I plug my BW into my Mac running Calibre software using a USB C cable. If your Mac is a M1/2/3.... model, there may be some issues with the reader being ejected randomly. This is solved by using a USB hub that has a USB 2.0 connector for the kobo cable to be plugged into (For some reason, the USB 3 ports on the Mac don't always work well with a kobo reader).

The kobo should show up in Calibre and you can use one of 2 plugins to send books to your kobo - the kobotouch plugin (will send epubs of your books to the kobo) or the kobotouch extended plugin (will send kepubs conversions of your books to the kobo. The KoboUtilities plug in can be used to update metadata, fix the database, alter the covers on your kobo books and other optimizations.

It's pretty easy to use calibre with Kobo devices.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2024, 05:22 PM   #6
breaktwister
breaktwister began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks Slanty.
breaktwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 05:59 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaktwister View Post
Thanks Slanty.
You will need at least calibre 7.10 for the Clara BW.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo clara bw