Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2024, 08:23 PM   #1
sirgawain
sirgawain began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
kepubify question

I followed the directions for updating my calibre database and it mostly worked okay -- but doesn't kobo expect .kepub.epub as an extension? When I went to upload files via google drive (because calibre is currently not working with the new firmware), I had to rename them all with the .epub to get noticed.

I also saw a few books where covers didn't come with the kepub. How do I fix that?
sirgawain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:43 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgawain View Post
(because calibre is currently not working with the new firmware),?
|Did you follow the in structions on the error message to disable the DB versioin check?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:57 PM   #3
sirgawain
sirgawain began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I did -- and it worked, so thank you (and by version check I assume you mean check the box that says "try to support new firmware")

Side question: if a kepub exists in the folder, does the koboutilities extension use it, or does it reconvert?
sirgawain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 09:22 PM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Edit: I re-read the question and realize the OP was already ahead of me,, sorry
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 12:52 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgawain View Post
I did -- and it worked, so thank you (and by version check I assume you mean check the box that says "try to support new firmware")

Side question: if a kepub exists in the folder, does the koboutilities extension use it, or does it reconvert?
The Kobo Utilities plugin does not care about .kepub files. calibre stores kepub files as .kepub to differentiate them from .epub so the extension needs to be changed from .kepub to .kepub.epub when sending to your Kobo.

For both the KoboTouch and KoboTouchExtended drivers (only enable ONE at a time), you will want to move kepub above epub on the first page of the driver configuration dialog.

The KoboTouchExtended driver will send an existing .kepub as .kepub.epub, if the .kepub does not exist in the calibre library, it will convert on the fly to kepub and send it as a .kepub.epub (page 4 of the driver configuration dialog to enable).

If you are using the KoboTouch driver and a kepub exists in the calibre library, it will be sent as a .kepub.epub otherwise an epub will be sent.

I store the few ePubs that have graphics or use ePub3 features that will benefit from using the Kobo WebKit based renderer as kepubs in my calibre library so I don't need to worry about the format conversion. I prefer to use kepubify to do the conversion in batches.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-30-2024 at 01:00 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:16 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does KePubify of KoboTouchExtended render better when you have hyphenation, kerning, and ligatures turned on with the KePub renderer?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote