Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2023, 05:38 AM   #46
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
When I attended writers conferences over the past few years, reMarkable had lots of buzz. If the one trick that pony offers targets a niche, that niche will be thrilled. Nobody buzzes about the Kobo Elipsa in those author circles. Kobo has its work cut out for it.
Sheer hype as it's got to be almost the worst 10.3″ note taking tablet on the market, if not the worst. I'd not even call it an ereader as it doesn't ebooks or ebook metadata. It's an eink sketch pad and PDF viewer (with scribbling) that only connects via networking. It doesn't have storage expansion and only 6 GByte on board.
The adverts sound like desperation, especially on a dying platform.
Amazon Kindle, not reMarkable, and maybe Boox and Pocketbook are the Kobo competition. The reMarkable is doomed (Company) unless there is a new model with USB MTP or Mass Storage and either SD card slot or 64 G Byte on board, metadata support, native epub and on device handwriting conversion. I think it was only people's reaction to the "cloud" service of the reMarkable that was of interest to Kobo, and actually without the "reMarkable Cloud" the reMarkable eink Tablet is pretty useless. More so than the Kindle Scribe without Amazon's Cloud. They didn't mention it because Amazon is the only serious competitor to Kobo.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 05:58 AM   #47
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Here's a couple of links.
Interesting reading in which many studies refer to the same documents but tend to disagree with each other conclusions. Ah well, that's life I suppose.

My personal conclusion is that any dyslectic diagnosed person by instinct seems to make their own choices for a comfortably reading experience, which can differ widely. Fortunately, modern e-readers offer a lot of font setting choices and clever usage of style-sheets can further help in enhancing the reading pleasure.

But as I'm personal not dyslectic (as far as I know ), I have hardly any rights to make conclusions. Better a real dyslectic can share his/her thoughts on this issue.

The return to the original thread: let Kobo continue to provide us users with enough font/style/etc. capabilities to configure the device as much as possible to our private liking to ensure we continue to buy and enjoy the devices.
Just my 2cts.

Last edited by DrChiper; 12-24-2023 at 06:09 AM.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2023, 08:44 AM   #48
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I have a kobo (H2O) with an sd card slot.

Having the extra space and being able to upgrade it was wonderful!
However, the card mechanism itself was awful! The card would constantly get bumped and accidentally ejected with the reader on. It would then delete the books from the database and lose my place and bookmarks and then reimport them after the card was fully ejected and reseated. I think I ended up hot glueing the card in to prevent this.

Kobo's implementation of the sd card was awful, and I'd rather not have one if that's how they are going to do it.
Sheerly as anecdotal evidence, I have thousands of books on an SD card in a Glo and it's never malfunctioned. Slow to boot, unsurprisingly, but that's it. I also have the original H2O and always planned to make that my book repository, but haven't got around to switching out the card yet.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 09:55 AM   #49
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't have any issue with the original H2O card slot. There is no doubt the Sony PRS-T2 (door at back), or my Oppo Phone (drawer with two SIM cards and SD card opened with paper-clip) or the Lenovo tab (door flap at rear camera which on some also takes a SIM) are all better designed. But it has a sealing flap. The Boyue Likebook Mars has no door or flap, yet there is no issue with it. Maybe you just had a dodgy socket.
Old 12-24-2023, 12:18 PM   #50
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
My personal conclusion is that any dyslectic diagnosed person by instinct seems to make their own choices for a comfortably reading experience, which can differ widely. Fortunately, modern e-readers offer a lot of font setting choices and clever usage of style-sheets can further help in enhancing the reading pleasure.

But as I'm personal not dyslectic (as far as I know ), I have hardly any rights to make conclusions. Better a real dyslectic can share his/her thoughts on this issue.
For what it may be worth, I worked in an education environment for quite a while. None of the dyslexic children managed to instinctively make their own choices for a comfortable reading environment.

What we did find was the OpenDyslexic and Dyslexie were snake oil. Dyslexie is the worst offender since they charge to use the font but over all a simple sans serif font was the best choice we could find.

Hmmm.... does the use of dyslectic instead of dyslexic perhaps indicate an British origin?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2023, 01:29 PM   #51
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm.... does the use of dyslectic instead of dyslexic perhaps indicate an British origin?
Never seen that. Only Dyslexic in UK and Ireland. Used to be called word blindness, or even being lazy!

Ireland:
https://dyslexia.ie/info-hub/about-d...t-is-dyslexia/

I went to school in UK:
https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/
(bit of a fail on the name?)

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dyslexia/
This is inaccurate:
Quote:
People with dyslexia find it difficult to recognise the different sounds that make up words and relate these to letters.
You don't need either of those for proficient reading and there are fast proficient readers that can't much spell. Also "phonics" is a mad UK thing, as George Bernard Shaw remarked. He didn't invent ghoti (pronounced fish), though often attributed to him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoti

Webster "reformed" a lot of USA spellings. Irish is worse as it's much older than English. Spellng was somewhat reformed in 1948, so though it seems crazy to English speakers, it's simply different rules. Isle of Mann adopted English transliteration for their Celtic Branch. Welsh looks mad to me, but makes sense to Welsh. The Scottish Gaelic varies considerably in spelling and pronunciation to Irish, but not so much in speech to how Irish is spoken in Donegal and the rest of Ulster.

We have fluent Irish speakers in our family and they can't read most Victorian era Irish language, but would understand it if readout loud by someone that did know it.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-24-2023 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-24-2023, 05:26 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Agreed. I had never heard of Bionic Reading before. Unlike other speed reading/assisted reading systems, Bionic Reading could be implemented on a Kobo with a simple tweak to the CSS without a hit on the CPU.
Bur why bother? Bionic Reading is rubbish.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 05:29 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Interesting reading in which many studies refer to the same documents but tend to disagree with each other conclusions. Ah well, that's life I suppose.

The return to the original thread: let Kobo continue to provide us users with enough font/style/etc. capabilities to configure the device as much as possible to our private liking to ensure we continue to buy and enjoy the devices.
Just my 2cts.
Another thing that can help with Dyslexia is changing the colors of the foreground and background.
Old 12-25-2023, 04:21 AM   #54
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another thing that can help with Dyslexia is changing the colors of the foreground and background.
Purely hearsay.
Old 12-25-2023, 04:52 AM   #55
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I took the survey and found it interesting. My "magic wand" wish was simply a better battery for the Sage. The focus on cloud features was largely moot for me - I doubt they'll offer sync via Proton Drive any time soon, and the notetaking stuff was largely irrelevant to me. Much like "Bionic Reading" - although the rabid frothing in this thread about the possible addition of that as an optional feature has been as reliably risible as ever.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 03:46 PM   #56
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Done
I probably failed
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 07:41 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Purely hearsay.
It's true.
Old 12-26-2023, 02:00 AM   #58
ghira
Zealot
ghira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura One, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight,
I said I wanted formulae to work. Even with a Sage and the Stix Two Math font (which has rescued some previously unusable books) formulae often look absolutely terrible on my Kobo. I don't know how much of this is Kobo's fault and how much is the books being produced in a terrible way.
ghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 02:30 AM   #59
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you are reading the book as an epub3 using the Webkit renderer (needs the .kepub.epub extension) and the formula are properly done in MathML, they look pretty decent. Otherwise, they look, as you said, absolutely terrible.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 02:32 AM   #60
ghira
Zealot
ghira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura One, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight,
Sometimes they are images and are microscopic. Probably not much kobo can do about that.
ghira is offline   Reply With Quote