Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 04:30 AM   #31
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Also, they'd better have improved their book database handling - the video ad quite proudly states "Store thousands and thousands of books".

I know my PRS-505 starts really slowing down at ~250 books...
Would be interesting to know but i doubt that.
They said similiar in the 505/600 ads (1000 of books...)
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #32
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtspeak View Post
I can see that they have improved the glare....but I'm not sure if it's just the crisper peral ink screen or a better touch screen.

Still it looks like it matches the kindle.
Definitely a better touch screen. Resistive touch requires a special layer over the display that has a gap. This gap is one of the big reasons for such poor clarity, in addition to the materials you need for the layer.

This new touch screen allows Sony to use similar glass to what they had in the 505, returning clarity back to where it should be.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #33
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
The first liseuse sold to the land of the short white sheep?
Nope, Sony are third actually.

A few months ago, Whitcoulls (our national bookstore - part of RedGroup) started selling the Kobo.

Then Amazon decided to start selling the Kindle 3 to the New Zealand market.

Now Sony have finally entered the NZ market.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:35 AM   #34
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Went to the Sony Centre store in Sydney (World Square shopping centre).
The salesman I spoke to responded (having been asked if they had any Sony Readers in yet) "Sony.... Readers..... what's that?" :/
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #35
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Still no stores in Scandinavia. sigh. Ah well. My Sony is less than a year old. It can last another year.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #36
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamfitz View Post
Just tried to preorder the 650 and there is a sales tax added on which brings the total to around $250.00
So the 350 is probably around $200 after tax as well.

I just got a Kindle 3 but I can't stand the whole page number issue and also kindle proprietary format...so this would have been nice but at these prices I'm not sure it is worth it.

I think I'll wait on the reviews.
I had to pay 8% sales tax because Sony has brick and mortar stores in Texas. Total cost for the PRS-350 for me was $194.39 USD with free shipping. In comparison my K3 WiFi was a total of $139 with free shipping. But Amazon does not have a brick and mortar presence in Texas so I didn't have to pay sales tax.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #37
jswinden
Nameless Being

Didn't see these listed in this thread, so here are the USA support page links:

PRS-350: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...l=PRS350&LOC=3

PRS-650: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...l=PRS650&LOC=3

PRS-950: Not yet available
Old 09-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #38
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
The quick among us will notice the cat at 4:29
And his standing under a "Recent Returns" sign at 0:47.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #39
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
And his standing under a "Recent Returns" sign at 0:47.
He is a New Zealander after all - maybe it's an unconsious message
Old 09-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #40
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The presenter in the video is from New Zealand? I thought it was Australia. I never can tell

And I offer sympathies to those affected by the earthquake.

Last edited by Fbone; 09-04-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #41
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The presenter in the video is from New Zealand? I thought it was Australia. I never can tell

And I offer sympathies to those affected by the earthquake.
Protip: get them to say the number between 5 and 7
The earthquake in Christchurch: very sad. If we Australians can lend a hand I'm sure we will. In terms of relationships between nations, New Zealanders are our cousins, so to speak.

Last edited by AprilHare; 09-04-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #42
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Definitely a better touch screen. Resistive touch requires a special layer over the display that has a gap. This gap is one of the big reasons for such poor clarity, in addition to the materials you need for the layer.

This new touch screen allows Sony to use similar glass to what they had in the 505, returning clarity back to where it should be.
so the new touch screen isn't resistive then? It has to be capacitative therefore. But where is the listing for it in the specs?
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #43
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
so the new touch screen isn't resistive then? It has to be capacitative therefore. But where is the listing for it in the specs?
It is neither resistive, nor capacitative. It uses infra-red sensors placed around the bezel. This is a new technology for touch screens.

Andrew
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #44
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
It is neither resistive, nor capacitative. It uses infra-red sensors placed around the bezel. This is a new technology for touch screens.

Andrew
Yeup... I got to see the 350/650 in person today, and the screen is brilliant. Clarity of the screen is exactly what it should be, text is easy to read, and the contrast and extra shades of grey blows the 505 away.

Now the question for myself is 650 or 950?
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:02 AM   #45
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post

Andrew
O, I see, hmmm, makes me rather suspicious since I ve not hear of anyone employing it, and I a sure sony did it for cost measures... I guess we ll have to see if /how well it works...
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manuals, shops, specs