Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll disagree and say size matters. 7" is a sweet spot.
I believe you previously said you prefer a 7". But since we seem to be repeating ourselves, a 6" is the best.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
If you're only reading text then I don't see how it matters. If you need larger text then simply increase the font size. Now for PDF documents and comic books, yes, the bigger the screen the better.
I will disagree. If you do need larger test, the larger screen is better. I also think the larger screen is better if just reading text. It just feels better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Speaking of portability, I find my original H2O quite portable.

Size of the H2O: 179 x 129 x 9.7 mm
Size of the Libra H2O: 144 x 159 x 7.8 mm
Size of the Clara HD: 159.6 x 110 x 8.35 mm

So the Libra will also be very portable.
Portability is in the pockets (or pocketbook) of the porter. The H2O/Libra could be too big for someone who wanted a reader to slip into a pocket. I know I made my own original H2O my take-along reader on a trip last summer, but it’s too big for the purse I’m carrying right now.

Which is just a way of saying that there’s no one answer and sometimes there’s not even a clear best answer. Preferences are individual. If they weren’t, Kobo could make only the single best reader. Kind of like Henry Ford and the Model T.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:55 AM   #19
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
There is a factor no one mentioned in this thread I think: how good are your eyes, which might have a strong correlation to your age. If you need bigger characters, with wider line spacing, then perhaps better at least 7".
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:39 PM   #20
Zorka
Enthusiast
Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Zorka is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Mini(5), Kobo Touch, Kobo H2O, Poke2, Pocketbook Color, Remarkabl
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I believe you previously said you prefer a 7". But since we seem to be repeating ourselves, a 6" is the best.
Nope, 5" is the best. Sadly enough not available anymore

Really depends on your needs.
I almost always have a mini with me, but at night I use a H2O (the mini lacks frontlight). When I read in the bath, I use the H2O (mini isn't waterproof).

I also own a Poke2, because it enables me to read my digital newpapers at work (I can't do that on the mini or H2O, pocket doesn't work on those sites....)

My latest is a Pocketbook Color, just to see if color is the next thing, but I barely use it....

So, just decide what's important to you, and let that decide.
Zorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #21
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
I will disagree. If you do need larger test, the larger screen is better. I also think the larger screen is better if just reading text. It just feels better.
This all seems very subjective. I've had a 6" e-reader for several years, and it "feels" just fine to me.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:32 PM   #22
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Going from a 6" screen to a 7" screen is a big deal. The 7" screen is much nicer to read with vs a 6" screen.
And I am of the contrary opinion -- I prefer a smaller screen as the device is more pocketable (EEK! an e-reader in a pocket? don't worry, I use a case and have never broken a reader), it's easier to figure out where you left off, and I like "turning the page" more often as it feels like I'm making more progress -- helps keep me from getting distracted.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #23
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
It's clear from the length of this discussion that size DOES matter

That said, it's also obviously VERY subjective, like Goldilock's assessment of porridge temperature - what's just right for some is too big or too small for others.

That said, I concur with issybird that the jump from 6 to 7 inches is a very noticeable one. When I got my H2O2, that was what really surprised me, how much extra screen space I got for that one inch. The H2O2 was also very portable, it fitted in most of my pockets even in its sleep cover. The Libra's shape does make it less pocketable than a Clara, and that may well be a factor that matters to the OP.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #24
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One aspect that nobody has mentioned yet is the fact that the Forma has a more durable screen than the others, with the Mobius backplane, making it much better for people who want to throw it in a backpack with a bunch of textbooks or something.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:09 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Portability is in the pockets (or pocketbook) of the porter. The H2O/Libra could be too big for someone who wanted a reader to slip into a pocket. I know I made my own original H2O my take-along reader on a trip last summer, but it’s too big for the purse I’m carrying right now.

Which is just a way of saying that there’s no one answer and sometimes there’s not even a clear best answer. Preferences are individual. If they weren’t, Kobo could make only the single best reader. Kind of like Henry Ford and the Model T.
I have a shoulder bag and my backpack and the H2O fits in both very well. The shoulder bag is not big at all.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
This all seems very subjective. I've had a 6" e-reader for several years, and it "feels" just fine to me.
I had a 6" Reader since the SOny Reader PRS-500 until the Kobo Aura H2O. The larger 6.8" screen feels better to me then the 6" screen.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:28 PM   #27
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
I had a 6" Reader since the SOny Reader PRS-500 until the Kobo Aura H2O. The larger 6.8" screen feels better to me then the 6" screen.
"to me" -- as the post that you replied to said, it's subjective.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:47 AM   #28
thangcuoi
thangcuoi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
My 2 cents.

eReaders technology are evolutionary. The internals are more or less the same between models. The main difference are in the screen size. Short of accidents or unfortunate hardware failure, any eReader will last you at least 5 years. Spend what you can afford as you will be investing in the long term.

As an example, my Kobo Glo released in 2012 is still getting the latest firmware update from Kobo. It has a lower resolution screen and a slower chip but it has no problem opening any book I load onto it. I can adjust font size and line spacing to overcome the low resolution. It took just a few seconds extra to load a book. I would like to get a newer device but I can't justify it unless I can find someone to pass on my old eReader.

Unless you plans to use your eReader to read a lot of comic and pdf, the Clara HD will do everything you need.

If you want a bigger screen and waterproofing (spillage insurance), get the Libra.

If money is not an issue, get the Forma.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
thangcuoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:24 AM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Just to complicate things... you might want to look at PocketBook's offerings. Looks like they're sold in Sweden.

https://pocketbook.se/se-se/catalog

As for screen size... almost all my reading has been done on a 6" screen and I think they work fine. Definitely gives you a more portable reader. But I do have one (old now) Kobo Aura HD (6.8" screen) and I don't mind using that one. I have tried a 7.8" screen and, for me, it's too big and unwieldy. (Opinions differ on all of this.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:00 PM   #30
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I used a 6" ereader for years, then changed to an 8" Android tablet running MoonReader+ Pro. Now I use an 8" Kobo Forma, and with the exception of it not fitting in my coat pocket it's probably the best overall reader I've used to date.

YMMV
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote