Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #16
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I have my own FONT_RAMP file on my Oasis 2, as my favorite size is somewhere between 5 and 6.
Me too, except I am closer to 4 without font_ramp. The step from 4 to 5 is too big, so my sizes go from 1 to about 8 in smaller steps. Distance differs - about a foot in bed and a little more otherwise. Usually Bookerly with bold 1.

While I can read all the way to 1 comfortably, I prefer not to. The lines are too long, and epaper is cheap (doesn't cost anything).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #17
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
That is the magic of digital books. My needs change depending on what device I'm reading on, ambient lighting, where I'm reading, which pair of glasses I'm wearing, time of day, etc. The ability to change font style, size, and line spacing, on an "as needed" basis is what gave reading for pleasure back to me.

I have no "default."
Exactly. In the morning, with fresh eyes and my glasses, I can go down to size 2 and see the text, though it's more comfortable at 5. by the time bedtime rolls around, it's usually at 7 or 8, because my eyes are more tired. During the spring and Summer, when the pollen is wreaking havoc on my eyes, sometimes I've had to crank it up to 11 or 12.

Before e-books, I just wouldn't have been able to read when my eyes were tired.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2018, 11:52 AM   #18
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Gosh! I don't know any of that stuff! I just start to read and adjust the size if it is uncomfortable! But I note that as I age, the text IS getting bigger!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #19
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
But I note that as I age, the text IS getting bigger!
Yep. I remember reading at #3 or even at #2 with my older kindles. Going on 10 years now reading on them I crept up to #4. I have a feeling though that the time to go up even more will get shorter and shorter.

For me #4 is a tad smaller I think on the O2 than on the O1 and Voyage. But it could be the same, I can't really tell. Its the only way I can answer the question though about what size I use. Its whatever Kindle tells me. I don't do any hacking or modifying. Wouldn't have a clue how to. I also don't know what "em" is. I assume is abreviation for something.

If I need larger font, I just go up when that time comes. Thankfully I have a few numbers to go up still coming from 4 now.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I increase line spacing sometimes rather than increasing the font. My eyes like that extra white space.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I increase line spacing sometimes rather than increasing the font. My eyes like that extra white space.
Same here. I almost always read in the middle line space setting now. I used to read with the thinnest spacing.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #22
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The fonts were updated not too long ago. Amazon did a great job of increasing the number of larger fonts on the newer ereaders. Before I was going from a medium to giant when I needed a medium-large. I currently use a 7 or 8 on the Voyage or Paperwhites depending on how well I see that day.

On the K3 and K4, I use the 5th from the smallest.

I have vision damage, so some days I have it even larger. Typically, about 1.5 feet away.

My Mom is 83 and reads with the smallest fonts. Always amazing to me.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-03-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #23
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I generally read at 18" (+/-6") and use a font setting that results in roughly 12pt text.

On my 8" Windows tablet with Freda as my reader it is a font size of "23" (whatever that means...). I don't have my Kindle (a K3/Keyboard) handy so I can't check what proprietary number is uses to get roughly the same size.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #24
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
*gets measuring tape*

Even with my glasses, I have visual issues. I prefer for capital letters to be between 1/8" and 1/4" high and for the reader to be at least 20" away to avoid arm/hand and eye trouble.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #25
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Typically use Bookerly, font size 4, bold 1. Works in almost all situations for me. How far away? Uhhh... about the normal distance that I would hold a book or my smartphone from my face... so like a foot to foot and a half away I guess. Probably about 12-16 inches away most of the time.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:40 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
*gets measuring tape*

Even with my glasses, I have visual issues. I prefer for capital letters to be between 1/8" and 1/4" high and for the reader to be at least 20" away to avoid arm/hand and eye trouble.
I grabbed the tape measure. 1/8" 12" away with bifocals.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #27
ellenoc
Author
ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wow, I'm almost embarrassed to admit - Bookerly, 7 font, 1 on bold. I also usually have it set in the middle for line spacing. Have to change that sometimes when a particular book either has wide spacing built in or needs the max just to unscrunch the text at all. Oh, and 18".
ellenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:43 PM   #28
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Nothing to be embarrassed about...poor vision isn't a character flaw. My vision has been poor my whole life.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #29
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenoc View Post
Wow, I'm almost embarrassed to admit - Bookerly, 7 font, 1 on bold. I also usually have it set in the middle for line spacing. Have to change that sometimes when a particular book either has wide spacing built in or needs the max just to unscrunch the text at all. Oh, and 18".
No need to be embarrassed.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #30
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Exactly. Nothing to be embarrassed about. Heck, I see folks reading at 1 and 2 and I would never have been able to do, even with fresh and bright child eyes. I been wearing glasses since I was 2 years old and started having bifocals before I hit 40. I would not be reading books if it wasn't for my kindles. Period. I could not with the small font in paperbacks. I envy those that can.

I'll meet you sooner than I want probably at #7. I have a feeling in the next 1-2 years I'll go to 5 and so on. That is just how the short vision is going going gone.

For fun I pulled out my old K1 after I charged it and wanted to see if I could still read on it. I can't comfortably anymore. Mostly because the contrast it has, which isn't super great compared to newer modes is just not enough and without the light, it makes it hard. So font size also depends on what setting I put the light on. Its more critical in the in between lighting. Not sunny bright and not totally dark yet. You guys know what I mean. If I turn the light lower to not be too glaring and glowing, I might have to put font higher or at least put more bold on.

I too am mostly in the middle setting for line spacing. Depends on the book and formatting. But when its too tight, it turns into a black/grey blob of text which makes my eyes go wonky.

I always wonder if I am speeding up my vision issues by reading a lot. If so, at least I am well read, even if I can't read labels anymore. I have to set my bifocal distance for books, not for prescription for example. Something has to give. I even have to go buy glasses online to get the bifocal I need as local places only want to do what the RX says. They are using a distance that is too close for my taste.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote