Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2023, 11:33 AM   #1
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
I think I bricked my Libra 2. :( Help?

My Libra 2 had auto-update itself to the latest firmware because I forgot to turn the wifi off, and I tried to side-load firmware 4.30 to roll it back.

The reason I wanted to roll it back to 4.30 is because I am stuck on Monterey for now, which means I can't use Calibre 7 yet, and I got the error message within Calibre that my Kobo's software was too new to manage collections any longer. So I decided that rolling back the Libra 2's firmware was my best option for now.

Unfortunately, it is stuck on the update screen, and has been for over 12 hours now.

Things I've tried:
- Holding the power button down for 3 seconds, then pressing again quickly
- Holding the power button down for 20 seconds, 30 seconds, and 2 minutes
- Holding the page turn button and power button at the same time for 20 seconds, 30 seconds, and 2 minutes
- Plugging it in to my computer and then plugging it into the wall
- Left it plugged into the wall for 10 hours at the time of writing this post

I am out of ideas and any other solutions I can google. Kobo customer support hasn't been very helpful either.

Is there anything else I can try? At this point I don't care if I lose everything that's on it. That's easily fixed with Calibre. I just want it to work again.

Edit: I forgot to add that the LED light is not coming on or flashing or anything either.

Last edited by Lily7; 12-29-2023 at 01:33 PM.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 12:39 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Did you follow the Kobo manual factory reset for the Libra 2?
  1. Connect your Libra 2 to a charger for at least 1 hour and leave it plugged in.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds
  3. Release the power button
  4. Press and hold one of the page turn buttons
  5. While holding the page turn button, press and hold the power button
  6. Wait for the screen to flash and start the reset procedure (up to 30 seconds)

If this doesn't work, you can try copying a Libra 2 µSD card image to a new µSD card. See the Kobo µSD Card Image Requests to request a link to an image.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2023, 01:34 PM   #3
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Did you follow the Kobo manual factory reset for the Libra 2?
  1. Connect your Libra 2 to a charger for at least 1 hour and leave it plugged in.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds
  3. Release the power button
  4. Press and hold one of the page turn buttons
  5. While holding the page turn button, press and hold the power button
  6. Wait for the screen to flash and start the reset procedure (up to 30 seconds)

If this doesn't work, you can try copying a Libra 2 µSD card image to a new µSD card. See the Kobo µSD Card Image Requests to request a link to an image.
Unfortunately, that did not work. I will see if I can figure out how to do the uSD thing you mentioned....
Old 01-01-2024, 04:16 PM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's complicated since the SD card is coated/glued in. I used isopropanol to try and soften/remove the glue to no avail. Eventually I just used glue myself, glued a paper strip to the card and used that to carefull pull it out. There is some risk of damaging the slot in the process... Old thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...22#post4213922

Unless your card died completely or you somehow managed to brick the kernel (which the recovery/factory reset also uses) the built-in factory reset would be so much easier to use. However if you don't even get the Power LED to light up then you might not have much other choice. Things are really wrong when the LED stops working altogether.

It's possible your battery ran flat if it somehow got stuck on the firmware upgrade process. Charge it for a few hours if you haven't tried it already.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 03:32 PM   #5
Lily7
Zealot

I tried everything, and nothing worked. I was just about to attempt to replace the SD card, since it was a paperweight anyway, when Kobo finally got back to me and offered a replacement under warranty. So I went with that, but I'm glad I asked about this because once it's out of warranty at least now I know what my options are.
Advert