Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Cool Oddity - 2 instances of calibre side by side

I have a copy of calibre portable 1.48 installed as a reference I can use when responding to queries from users who are using XP

Today I inadvertently discovered that I can run calibre 64 bit V2.23 and calibre portable V1.48 concurrently - I am 99.9% sure I couldn't do this previously

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	136803

I cannot run calibre 64 bit V2.23 and calibre portable V2.22 concurrently

I thought I used to get a message to the effect - you can't run multiple instances of calibre - but I may be thinking of some other program where only one instance is allowed.

===========

So why did I run 1.48?

I was looking for the 'X' (close) icons that were used on the Virtual Library tabs in the past. The ones that were red for the current VL tab and 'greyed out' for the rest. I didn't find them

When were they changed, the 'X' (close) button is now the same (windows-close.png) irrespective of whether the VL is current or not. If was in version 2.0, then I must ask myself why I only just noticed this in past week or two -- and now that I have, why does it irritate me so

Goes without saying I preferred the old two state 'X' (close) button on VL tabs. I would have ignored the irritation... but for the Oddity.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The code to ensure a single instance of calibre was changed a while back (so it is possible that you can run multiple copies of calibre if their versions are sufficiently different).

As for your tabs issue, that is a Qt 5 thing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2015, 02:05 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Curious - was the change to single instance detection changed to specifically allow multiple instances, or is that a serendipitous feature

Bloody Qt - why did they change it, wasn't broken - was it ? :lol:

BR
Old 04-05-2015, 02:14 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Multiple instances are not allowed, you can get multiple instances if you run two versions of calibre from before and after the change, that's all.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
That's great, being able to run two versions of calibre. I have occasionally wanted to check two libraries at the same time but had to use my laptop to view the second while working on my desktop. This will be easier.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
That's great, being able to run two versions of calibre. I have occasionally wanted to check two libraries at the same time but had to use my laptop to view the second while working on my desktop. This will be easier.
@LadyKate - if your libraries go pear shaped as a result of exploiting this loophole don't blame me. My understanding is that there are valid reasons why only one instance of calibre is allowed. AFAIK those reasons won't go away on the other side of the 'loop'.

I run multiple calibre-servers in order to look at other libraries, its usually enough. If not I look in Evernote where I keep 'unstructured' information for authors, and some books; or I use windows search. Otherwise I switch libraries.

BR
Old 04-10-2015, 01:59 AM   #7
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hummm, I wonder if there would be problems with two different libraries open at the same time. I have often wondered why there wasn't an option to open two libraries in order to make comparisons. I will of course make backups before trying this.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
Hummm, I wonder if there would be problems with two different libraries open at the same time. I have often wondered why there wasn't an option to open two libraries in order to make comparisons. I will of course make backups before trying this.
Find Duplicates PI can look at a second Library.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:02 PM   #9
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Can it do a binary compare?

For some eBooks I have 1st edition, 2nd edition, 3rd edition, etc, and I don't want the program to delete everything but the nth edition.

Something I've accidentally done more than once.

Amber
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:14 AM   #10
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
Can it do a binary compare?
Yes, that's one of the options.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #11
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That's if the duplicates are close enough to be recognized. Often it's a case of wanting to check something in another library.

For instance, if I'm working on adding books I usually use a secondary library to do a cleanup of tags, authors and titles.

Sometimes it would be really good to be able to open the main library to double check a book or to check the missing items in a series.

It's been a while since I did a library duplicate check and I don't remember if I can open the books from both libraries when there are duplicates.