View Single Post
Old 04-17-2024, 12:32 AM   #11
tspear
Enthusiast
tspear began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Unless the cloud backup service has a one way sync to go from your computer the cloud server, do not use it. If something was to get corrupted on the cloud server, you could end up with it corrupted on your computer.

You would be best to get some external hard drives and use FreeFileSync to make backups of specific things. That way you won't be at risk of a two-way sync messing things up. For one thing, a two-way cloud sync can mess up your calibre libraries. There have been many posts on MR about this very issue.
One way sync, or a file replication service with backup recovery built in, are only part of the possible solution sets that should be considered.

If you plan on using a multi-device synchronization service, such as Dropbox, Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive, the prohibition is very simple. Never ever open on an alternate compute until synchronization is complete on all computers/devices and without errors.

I ran Adobe Lightroom, with a binary database, for almost a decade on multiple computers synchronized through a file service (even standing my own service up for a while). I had one problem, and I knew I was going to cause that problem before I opened it (daughter needed a picture for a school project).

So, I thank you for the warning, but I am very comfortable knowing how these system work, and how I can use them (or not).

Tim
tspear is offline   Reply With Quote