View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 11:16 PM   #7
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Thanks! FYI, the following McGuffey's freebies are downloadable, with no obligation, sign-up, or email required, at http://www.learn-to-read-prince-geor...y-readers.html. They, in turn, were taken from Project Gutenberg.
  • McGuffey's Eclectic Primer - 5MB
  • McGuffey's First Eclectic Reader - 7.8 MB
  • McGuffey's Second Eclectic Reader - 11.04 MB
  • McGuffey's Third Eclectic Reader -12.63 MB
  • McGuffey's Fourth Eclectic Reader - 8.89 MB
  • McGuffey's Fifth Eclectic Reader - 9.79 MB
  • McGuffey's Sixth Eclectic Reader - 6.62 MB
  • McGuffey's Eclectic Spelling Book - 21.91MB
Thanks. Yeah, they're readily available. There are also at least a couple of dozen free, full-version (not "snippets" (which are worthless) or previews) at Google Books. I think that they are all copies of the originals, which is to say that they haven't been revised by anyone in recent times. One reason that I went ahead and posted the one that I did is that it had been revised, although I cannot speak to the value or quality of the revision work.

Part of the reason for their popularity, I suppose, is that many homeschoolers and others seem to think that the material published today is not up to the standards of that published years ago. They've had a second life with these people. And most, if not all, of the McGuffey readers are out of copyright, so they're cheap if not free.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-23-2016 at 11:30 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote