View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 12:38 PM   #45
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Complexity of some Chinese characters really benefit from higher PPIs. If you're familiar with the characters its still readable but it IS nice to easily see every stroke at standard book font sizes.

Android is fine with eInk reading. My Oynx stuff works great. Scrolling/page turn animations is a bigger issue than color palette but Oynx at least has modes to deal with it and most apps let you turn off page turn animations. The only thing I miss from a dedicated Kindle is the better Japanese dictionary support. Otherwise Android has so many benefits with the ability to use multiple stores/apps with ease, more file formats, better web browser that it totally makes up for the handful of little issues like scrolling to pick a book in the Kindle app being a bit janky.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the latest Kobo/Kindle apps still only require Android 6. So for the time being this should be good.
Good point about CJK characters on 800x600, but that isn’t ever going to be my use case. I wish I could read any of these languages, but it would take a lot more time and motivation than I have. My point was that I don’t find the display unpleasant (it’s noticeably better than the 8th generation Kindle’s).

I was very disappointed last time I tried an Android eReader, and this Xiaomi device is not something I’m interested in apart from the possibility that Kobo or Amazon might be inspired to release a dedicated eReader with similar hardware specifications.

My main complaint about my Kindles is that the UI can be laggy, and may even have gotten worse over the course of the firmware updates. For example, if I close a book and immediately tap on Filter, it can take several seconds to present the choices. Most things are fine most of the time, but it’s not uniformly so. A little more oomph could help smooth it out. And I would like a smaller form factor.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-12-2021 at 12:46 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote